Turtles are our smiling, living dinosaur friends, and everyone loves turtles. Since they sometimes don't make it to their nesting grounds, and are struggling with habitat loss, I'm raising some funds to help make their lives a little easier.
I'm also participating in a Turtle Walk in Fenelon Falls to help the turtles cross the road (so to speak). As a kid, I spent summers up there, and I adopted a snapping turtle that I named Freddy. I hope to find Freddy alive and well up there, or
Click on one of the social media tabs above to have others join in on our efforts.
Help our slow friends come in first!
Turtles are the best cleaners of our water and lakes.
They can live a long time but turtles take up to 60 years to replace themselves in nature!
Today, they are facing extinction because of road mortality, habitat loss and poaching.
Turtles are icons of a living earth and were here even before the dinosaurs! Let's help them survive in today's world too!
Support our T5 Campaign to save Ontario's turtles!
Save Ontario's turtles by raising funds for our T5 Campaign, suppoting all aspects of prevention and cure:
1. Turtles - housing and feeding ambassador turtles that cannot be released into the wild
2. Teaching- education in schools, curriculum development, workshops and summer camps
3. Tracking- field research on turtle populations including presence/absense, biological sampling, habitat condiction, and population trends.
4. Tunnels - mapping and assessing potential turtle tunnel sites to direct turtles under roads, and installing tunnels at feasible sites.
5. Trauma Care- triage, medical care, and recovery for turtles injured on roads.
A Land of Hope
The Land Between region in Ontario (stretching from the Georgian Bay Coast to Ottawa) has more than 1/3 of Ontario's turtles. We are focusing efforts here because actions in this final refuge can turn the tides. It is a land of hope!