About Community Boards
Community Boards operates the oldest, longest-running public mediation program in the United States. We maintain a corps of 300+ highly skilled volunteer Community Mediators. Located in San Francisco, California, our mediation services are offered citywide in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and English at little or no-cost.
The purpose of Community Boards is to empower communities and individuals with the strength, skills, and resources needed to express and resolve conflicts peacefully and appropriately for their culture and environment.
To accomplish our mission, we provide and promote peaceful, collaborative conflict resolution. We serve diverse communities and offer mediation, conflict coaching, training, and referrals. We build more peaceful, respectful, healthy, and just communities – one relationship at a time.
We envision Community Boards in the forefront of the conflict resolution field, working with individuals, communities, schools and groups across the country and around the world.
We are guided by the following values and commitments:
- To provide accessible, fair and inclusive problem solving and conflict resolution services;
- To respect the many forms of communication and problem solving utilized by and appropriate to diverse people and communities;
- To maintain an organizational orientation to self-assessment, ongoing learning and internal practices consistent with our purposes and values; and
- To enhance people’s capacities as involved, aware and effective residents of their communities.
Our Conflict Resolution Programs & Services
Our Neighborhood Mediation and Professional Mediation services are confidential, time efficient, cost effective, and suitable for the successful resolution of a wide range of disputes.
Our Facilitation Services are an effective tool for generating constructive results for groups and teams confronting institutional challenges and internal conflict that impact productivity.
- Conflict Coaching
Our Conflict Coaching Program provides confidential one-on-one sessions that assist individuals in addressing and problem solving a challenging relationship.
We can assist…
- Families, friends, roommates, neighbors who need help in resolving a wide range of personal, domestic, residential, and quality of life disputes.
- Nonprofit organizations that must deliver their programs & services within constrained budgets, while navigating the diverse interests of clients, board members, management, staff, and volunteers.
- Independent contractors, sole proprietors, and small businesses who value vendor, customer, and client relationships, while trying to minimize legal expenses and liabilities.
- Property owner associations (TICs, condominiums, homeowners) whose members balance their shared financial investments in their homes and neighborhoods with maintaining constructive, civil relationships with each other.
- Public agencies that must address important public issues, maintain open communications, and equitably handle the competing needs of multiple parties, all in times of funding challenges.
Neighborhood Case Opening