JLOSH (http://www.jlosh.org) is a non-profit organization of 200+ women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. We are also part of a powerful network of more than 140,000 women in 291 communities in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and Mexico who share the same mission. Collectively, we constitute one of the largest and most effective volunteer organizations in the world. We welcome all women who value our mission, and we are committed to inclusive environments of diverse individuals, organizations and communities.
As our league enters its 107th year of service, we will continue to focus on addressing the basic needs of low-income children in our service areas. We will work on closing the gap on food insecurity, essential clothing needs, school supply gaps and basic hygiene needs of school-aged children living in poverty. We believe that when these basic needs are met with the necessary supplies and educational resources, low-income children can focus their energy on succeeding in school.
JLOSH is unique in that we trained provide leadership training for our members and community partners in addition to direct volunteering service to the community.
Here are examples of the type of community service JLOSH provides:
- Nurses’ pantries in Orange elementary schools;
- Prepared basic needs bags for pediatric patients at St. Barnabas
- Thanksgiving dinner bags to distribute to families in need in Orange,
- Holiday “pajama party” for children at a therapeutic nursery school in East Orange,
- “Kids for Kids” event where over 150 local children learned the value of volunteerism by participating in various service projects aimed at assisting other local children in need.
JLOSH Little Black Dress 2019